About Me

My photo
I started as a Krazegrl, and now I'm a a Krazemom, welcome to my Krazelife!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nicknames

In our family nicknames are plentiful and it seems that once you have one it sticks. When my cousin was learning to talk, if you asked her what her name was, she answered "Mickey-Girl", she's now 20 and her name in my iPhone is Mickey. At times I wonder what people on the outside think when we are talking. Some of the nicknames are completely made up, others are twists on first names or last names. Others came about because of my monkeys inability to say the name correctly. 

Both of my monkey boys have a few nicknames. Meemo and Bogos or a variation of theses, are the most common.  Grandparents, cousins, adult friends aunts and uncles all address the boys by these nicknames; these are the nicknames that we address their birthday cards too; its what we call them when they aren't in trouble. They also both answer to Monkey, Monkey Boy(s) ect. and both boys also have nicknames close to their given names. I'm sure as they get older their friends will develop nicknames for them. 


The monkeys also have nicknames for most people in the their lives. My sister's nickname is Ti-Ti. When my oldest was young he couldn't say auntie, or my sisters name, and Ti-Ti was all we could understand. Over the years Ti-Ti has stuck and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, anytime soon. 
The grandparents have not been entirely safe from the monkeys nicknames. The grandmothers have been fairly safe, although they will occasionally get called by the odd name. My mom was Grandma Nut for awhile. We have no idea where it came from, her allergy to nuts? that she acts like a nut with them? or my just from imagination? The grandfathers on the other hand... My dad us usually grampy or grumpy-grampy (my fault!), lol. My father-in-law is Boppa or rather The Boppa. Again it started from my oldest not being able to say Grandpa. It stuck because it was a way we could define the grandparents from each other. We have Grandma and The Boppa, Grandma, and Grampy. 

The monkeys call my hubby Da-dudes. They call him the usual dad and Daddy, but more often then not it's Da-dudes. It's not his only nickname, but it's the only one I'll post about...
As for me, I've had plenty of nicknames, throughout my life. As a kid my mom had a lot of nicknames for my sister and I but mostly she called us (and still calls us) Bean and Beaner.  A friends mom called all the neighbuorhood kids Pet, for some reason it's a nickname I will always remember. In highschool, I was Carp, short for my last name, Lisa squared, because my best friend was named Lisa too, and Smilie, self explanatory, to name a few. My hubby has always called me Babes, and they monkey boys have tried calling me Babes as well which greets them with "the look". They call me mom, or mommy if they are whining, But my favourite, by far, is Mummers. It's what I get referred to most often, if anyone in my family is talking to the boys about me it's Mummers. They call me Mummers on occasion, but more often they call me Mummers when they are talking about me. ie "shhh here comes Mummers" Where's Mummers? Moooommmmm!" I've noticed that my mom now refers to me as Mummers when she is talking to the monkeys (Mummers is going to take you...), unless she is warning them I'll be mad (Your mom will be mad if you...) I think out of all the things I've been called I will forever love Mummers.
Da-dudes, Mummers, Meemo and Bogos, for better or worse, that's my family <3 

2 comments:

  1. My boys have always been monkeys - started before Kaleb was born and the ultrasounds showed a "chunky monkey". Monkey One & Monkey Two are more common. Justin just gets shortened to J, Kaleb to KB. My Dad always called me Dennis as a kid. I'm rarely "Lindsey" anymore... usually just Linds. Nicknames are funny things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I missed Goobs! Hubby always calls them Goobs! haha I don't know how I missed that. We do monkey one and monkey two occasionally too Linds!

    ReplyDelete