About Me

My photo
I started as a Krazegrl, and now I'm a a Krazemom, welcome to my Krazelife!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Budgeting

When it comes to managing money, I'm the first to admit I suck at it! I actually rock at creating budgets, but I really suck at sticking to them. I'm trying really hard to change that. However before I can even get to that point, I need to get my hubby on board with my plans. Or at least talking to me about our finances. We have made some improvements in the last month with talking about $$$, but again I suck at it. I could blame any number of reasons, money wasn't discussed when I was growing up, I've never had to worry about it before, the money I earned was mine to do as I pleased  (up I've been spoiled).  at the end of the day, I'm a grown up and it;s my responsibility to manage my money, or at least learn how to manage my money!
I've tried a few different ways in the past, but never stuck to them. The truth is that I really don't know how much money we spend,m or on what. I don't even know how often the bills come. I've decided my first step is to learn.  My plan for doing so is fairly simple, I have an agenda that I wasn't using for anything (love my iPhone calendar!)  I'm going to write down the dates the bill comes in (we have issues with our mail), the due date and the date I pay it in the dates on the agenda. I haven't decided how long I'm going to do this for, maybe 3 months will be enough, but I think 6 months might give me a clearer picture of our finances. Maybe it will become habit and I'll continue to do it for a year or more. I've decided to keep the agenda in the car for now. Why? for a few reasons, first, I think it's one place it won't get lost. Second, I think I'll use it in the car - I stop and get the mail everyday on my way home from getting the monkey boys, and considering my hubby is old school we have to drive to the bank to use the bank machine. Third, it will be a constant reminder in my car, to think about what I am spending money on.
Once I understand the wheres of our money, hubby and I will have to decide if we can continue on the way we are or if there are any major changes we should be making.
Or maybe we should just win the lottery...

No comments:

Post a Comment